|FAQ|

  • Q: Why would I use MNCN?
  • A: At MNCN, we provide a friendly, professional service which our Clients have come to trust in guiding them from the very beginning of a design’s concept to seeing it built on site and every step along the way. We take pride in developing proposals which find a balance between enhancing the daily lives of people as well as maximising value of the respective project. This can range from ensuring the internal layouts of houses promote optimal interaction between the family living within it to a project incorporating ‘green’ technologies to help progress towards a world where we avoid impacting our environment in such a negative way.
  • Q: Are you qualified / what is your expertise?
  • A: We have fully-qualified Architectural Technologists with experience working in the AEC industry for over 10 years. Gaining experience in a number of companies, our staff have worked on projects of all shapes and sizes from small residential extensions to landmark, multi-million pound developments in major cities of the UK. We have a breadth of knowledge which applies to projects of all types, but take particular pride in creating places/spaces that enhance our day-to-day personal and professional lives.
  • Q: Do I need planning permission?
  • A: This is usually regarding residential alterations and extensions and will depend on many factors related to the nature of your project; such as it’s location, size and aesthetics. Luckily there are some incredibly useful resources online which can help clarify the situation including those via this link.
  • Q: When do I pay?
  • A: To help explain for homeowners, let us set a scenario for you where we have been instructed to develop a planning package for an extension to a house. We will first take the client’s brief (find out what they want from/in their extension) then survey the existing property to develop a draft planning package from this information. This will be the first revision of the drawings and is sent to the client for them to check everything they had imagined is captured. It is at this point when 80% of our architectural fee is paid. The client then informs us of any tweaks they may like to make and once agreed, these are added to the drawing to reach completion where the final issue is sent to the client and the remaining 20% is settled.
  • Q: How many revisions are included per design package?
  • A: Our quotations allow for a single reasonable revision to an architectural package. For clarification, we would allow relocation of doors or changing window sizes but couldn’t allow changing a single-storey extension to a multiple-storey extension as this wouldn’t be in line with the original brief. A revision would usually occur in response to the draft package as explained above. It is essential for client’s to consider a design carefully at this stage to ensure all is captured, thus avoiding any further charges at a later stage.
  • Q: What other costs are there involved with the design process of a project?
  • A: In addition to the architectural fees associated with works from concept design through to construction drawings, there are a few other costs which a client should consider prior to the building of their project. For smaller residential projects, these are usually confined to structural calculations from a Structural Engineer and the council’s fees for processing submissions for pre-application advice, planning approval or building regulations approval. For more complex projects, items such as measured/topographical surveys, asbestos surveys, services design as well as others may be required.
  • Q: How long does planning/building regulations approval last?
  • A: Generally, from the date of approval you have three years to begin construction. For further clarification on planning, see here.
  • Q: How long does the design process take?
  • A: This differs greatly and depends on many factors such as the amount of services you require/desire and whether there are any difficulties along the way. If a standard residential extension requires planning and building regulations approval and runs relatively smoothly, it can be roughly estimated that the duration would be 17-20 weeks from the initial site visit; this includes the time it takes to get a response from the local authority.

Should you have any further questions, please send an email to enquiries@mncn.co.uk and we would be happy to respond.